News and Events
- Coalition LeveeSave the Date
- Dec 22 2018
- Join the PEI Coalition for Women in Government for their Annual New Year's Levee on Thursday, January 3rd, 2019, from 4:00-6:00 pm at Upstreet Brewery.
- Percentage of Women Elected to PEI Municipal Councils IncreasesMedia Release
- Nov 06 2018
- Despite an increase in the number of women elected to municipal councils yesterday the percentage remains well below parity.
- Nomination of Women Increases in 2018 Municipal ElectionsMedia Release
- Oct 22 2018
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government is pleased to see an increase in the number of women running as candidates in the four PEI municipalities whose elections are managed by Elections PEI.
- Coalition Hosts Public Event on Gender-based CyberviolenceMedia Release
- May 20 2018
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government invites members of the public to a free presentation and panel on “Confronting Gender-based Cyberviolence Against Women in Politics,” on Thursday May 24, 2018, from 6:00-8:30PM, UPEI.
- Coalition Supports Women Fundraising for Municipal Campaigns Letter to the Editor
- Apr 08 2018
- The belief that candidates should be able to fund their campaigns on their “own dime” would mean that only people with lots of money to spare could run for office, which would create disadvantages for many women and underrepresented groups.
- It's About Time! Op-ed for the Guardian
- Apr 06 2018
- As the Spring Session of the Legislative Assembly of PEI begins, the Coalition for Women in Government is looking forward to increased action in the area of equity and inclusion for women and diverse groups in PEI.
PEI in 2019
- 0% of MPs in PEI are women
- 18.5% of MLAs are women
- 25% of PEI Senators are women
- 32% of municipal councillors are women
- 75% of Lennox Island Band Council members are women (no women are currently members of Abegweit First Nations Band Council)
How Does PEI Compare?
Percentage of women in provincial, territorial and national legislatures (2019):
|Rank||Jurisdiction||% of Women in Legislature|
|8||Newfoundland and Labrador||25%|
|11||Prince Edward Island||18.5%|