News and Events
- Building Effective Boards: The Gender & Diversity Factor Free Workshop
- Nov 29 2017
- The Equity in Governance project invites members of agencies, boards, and commissions to attend the "Building Effective Boards: The Gender & Diversity Factor" workshop on Thursday, Dec 7th from 9:00am-3:00pm
- Coalition Congratulates Hannah Bell on District 11 Win! Media Release
- Nov 28 2017
- Hannah Bell Makes History As First Woman Green Party Candidate Elected to PEI Legislature
- Becoming A Municipal Councillor: What You Need to Know! Join the Coalition and Municipal Affairs PEI to learn more about the roles and responsibilities of municipal councillors in PEI.
- Nov 07 2017
- Municipal elections are just one year away and the Coalition for Women in Government is encouraging members of the public to learn more about municipal government.
- Inside Municipal Council Attend Municipal Council Meetings with the Coalition for Women in Government & Young Voters of PEI
- Nov 02 2017
- The Coalition for Women in Government and Young Voters of PEI invite members of the public to attend municipal council meetings during the months of November and December to learn more about the municipal process.
- New Zealand PM Leads Mixed Member Proportional Coalition Under the Mixed Member Proportional electoral system New Zealand elects its third woman Prime Minister
- Oct 26 2017
- New Zealand is an island nation that shares much in common with Prince Edward Island in its sociopolitical history. We still hope that PEI will share another trait with New Zealand in the future: a Mixed-Member Proportional electoral system.
- New Project for Women in Politics AnnouncedMedia Release
- Apr 07 2017
- Three organizations team up for the project titled "Engaging Island Women for Political Action"
PEI in 2017
- 0% of MPs in PEI are women
- 18.5% of MLAs are women
- 50% of appointed Senators are women
- 75% of Lennox Island Band Council members are women (no women are currently members of Abegweit First Nations Band Council)
How Does PEI Compare?
Percentage of women in provincial, territorial and national legislatures (2017):
|Rank||Jurisdiction||% of Women in Legislature|
|8||Newfoundland and Labrador||25%|
|10||Prince Edward Island||18.5%|
LATEST ACTIVITIES AND RESOURCES
Engaging Island Women for Political Action
The project will address barriers to women's inclusion in political parties by providing leadership training to 100 women and working directly with political parties to identify opportunities for women's advancement.
PEI Women in Government Timeline
Equity in Governance Project Resources
- Best Practices in Increasing Women's Representation on Agencies, Boards, and Commissions (French)
- Benefits of Gender and Diversity on Boards (French)
The objective of the Equity in Governance Project is to increase opportunities for women to achieve positions of leadership by addressing the systemic and structural barriers that limit the leadership role of women on ABCs in PEI.