News and Events
- Percentage of Women in PEI Cabinet Lowest in CanadaCabinet Data
- May 10 2019
- Following Thursday’s swearing-in ceremony for PEI’s Premier and Executive Council, the Coalition for Women in Government can confirm that PEI ranks last in Canada regarding gender representation in cabinet.
- Percentage of Women in PEI Legislature Increases SlightlyMedia Release
- Apr 24 2019
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government is pleased that the Legislature will see an increase in the number of women elected. Six of twenty-six (23%) MLAs declared elected in yesterday’s race are women, an increase from 18.5% in 2015.
- MMP: An opportunity to increase women’s participation in governmentOp-ed for the Guardian
- Apr 23 2019
- Over the past 15 years, the Coalition has consistently advocated for a proportional electoral system, not because it benefits or disadvantages some parties over others, but because research shows that it tends to elect more women.
- One-third of Party Candidates are Women Media Release
- Apr 12 2019
- Nominations for the 2015 provincial election are now closed and the PEI Coalition for Women in Government has confirmed that both the number and percentage of women candidates has increased over 2015 totals.
- Name Recognition MattersLetter to the Editor
- Apr 12 2019
- Name recognition can be a challenge for women running in politics, particularly when they are running against an incumbent, who has had four or more years to become a household name in their district.
- Leaders' Forum on Women's Issues Save the Date: April 11, 10:00 am -12:00 noon
- Mar 29 2019
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government and Holland College Student Union are pleased to host the second PEI Leaders’ Forum on Women’s Issues on Thursday, April 11, 2019, from 10:00 am-12:00 pm in the Florence Simmons Performance Hall.
PEI in 2019
- 0% of MPs in PEI are women
- 18.5% of MLAs are women
- 25% of PEI Senators are women
- 32% of municipal councillors are women
- 75% of Lennox Island Band Council members are women (no women are currently members of Abegweit First Nations Band Council)
How Does PEI Compare?
Percentage of women in provincial, territorial and national legislatures (2019):
|Rank||Jurisdiction||% of Women in Legislature|
|9||Prince Edward Island||23%|
|10||Newfoundland and Labrador||22.5%|