News and Events
- Trauma-Informed Policy Project: Request for ProposalsRFP for a Project Coordinator
- Jan 09 2020
- The Coalition for Women in Government is seeking proposals to coordinate a project on trauma-informed policy as a tool to help organizations and institutions prevent and address violence against women, particularly in political contexts.
- Coalition LeveeInvitation
- Dec 28 2019
- Join the PEI Coalition for Women in Government for our Annual New Year's Levee on Thursday, January 2nd, 2020 from 4:00-6:00 pm at St. Peter's Cathedral Hall
- Coalition Congratulates Natalie Jameson on District 9 WinDistrict 9 Deferred Election
- Jul 16 2019
- The Coalition for Women in Government congratulates Natalie Jameson on her win in the District 9 deferred election yesterday.
- Percentage of Women in PEI Cabinet Lowest in CanadaCabinet Data
- May 10 2019
- Following Thursday’s swearing-in ceremony for PEI’s Premier and Executive Council, the Coalition for Women in Government can confirm that PEI ranks last in Canada regarding gender representation in cabinet.
- Percentage of Women in PEI Legislature Increases SlightlyMedia Release
- Apr 24 2019
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government is pleased that the Legislature will see an increase in the number of women elected. Six of twenty-six (23%) MLAs declared elected in yesterday’s race are women, an increase from 18.5% in 2015.
- MMP: An opportunity to increase women’s participation in governmentOp-ed for the Guardian
- Apr 23 2019
- Over the past 15 years, the Coalition has consistently advocated for a proportional electoral system, not because it benefits or disadvantages some parties over others, but because research shows that it tends to elect more women.
PEI in 2019
- 0% of MPs in PEI are women
- 26% of MLAs are women
- 25% of PEI Senators are women
- 32% of municipal councillors are women
- 50% of Lennox Island Band Council are women
- 25% of Abegweit Band Council members are women
How Does PEI Compare?
Percentage of women in provincial, territorial and national legislatures (2019):
|Rank||Jurisdiction||% of Women in Legislature|
|9||Prince Edward Island||26%|
|11||Newfoundland and Labrador||22.5%|