News and Events
- Coalition Supports Women Fundraising for Municipal Campaigns Letter to the Editor
- Apr 08 2018
- The belief that candidates should be able to fund their campaigns on their “own dime” would mean that only people with lots of money to spare could run for office, which would create disadvantages for many women and underrepresented groups.
- It's About Time! Op-ed for the Guardian
- Apr 06 2018
- As the Spring Session of the Legislative Assembly of PEI begins, the Coalition for Women in Government is looking forward to increased action in the area of equity and inclusion for women and diverse groups in PEI.
- Municipal Campaign School for Women Training Opportunity
- Feb 01 2018
- Women interested in running in the 2018 municipal elections are invited to attend a municipal campaign school in Charlottetown or Summerside.
- Percentage of Women in PEI Cabinet Lowest Among Provinces Media Release
- Jan 10 2018
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government describes today's announcement as a missed opportunity to ensure women's voices and experiences are represented at the cabinet table.
- New Year's Levee Save The Date
- Dec 16 2017
- Join the PEI Coalition for Women in Government for their Annual New Year's Levee on Wednesday January 3rd, 2018, from 4:00-6:00pm at St. Peter's Hall.
- Coalition Welcomes Motion to Modernize Legislative Sitting TimesMedia Release
- Dec 14 2017
- The Coalition for Women in Government welcomes motion 32 put forward by Minister Paula Biggar to modernize sitting times in the Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island and hopes all parties will support the motion.
PEI in 2018
- 0% of MPs in PEI are women
- 18.5% of MLAs are women
- 50% of appointed Senators are women
- 75% of Lennox Island Band Council members are women (no women are currently members of Abegweit First Nations Band Council)
How Does PEI Compare?
Percentage of women in provincial, territorial and national legislatures (2017):
|Rank||Jurisdiction||% of Women in Legislature|
|8||Newfoundland and Labrador||25%|
|10||Prince Edward Island||18.5%|
LATEST ACTIVITIES AND RESOURCES
Engaging Island Women for Political Action
The project will address barriers to women's inclusion in political parties by providing leadership training to 100 women and working directly with political parties to identify opportunities for women's advancement.
PEI Women in Government Timeline
Equity in Governance Project Resources
- Best Practices in Increasing Women's Representation on Agencies, Boards, and Commissions (French)
- Benefits of Gender and Diversity on Boards (French)
The objective of the Equity in Governance Project is to increase opportunities for women to achieve positions of leadership by addressing the systemic and structural barriers that limit the leadership role of women on ABCs in PEI.