News and Events
- Percentage of Women Elected to PEI Municipal Councils IncreasesMedia Release
- Nov 06 2018
- Despite an increase in the number of women elected to municipal councils yesterday the percentage remains well below parity.
- Nomination of Women Increases in 2018 Municipal ElectionsMedia Release
- Oct 22 2018
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government is pleased to see an increase in the number of women running as candidates in the four PEI municipalities whose elections are managed by Elections PEI.
- Coalition Hosts Public Event on Gender-based CyberviolenceMedia Release
- May 20 2018
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government invites members of the public to a free presentation and panel on “Confronting Gender-based Cyberviolence Against Women in Politics,” on Thursday May 24, 2018, from 6:00-8:30PM, UPEI.
- Coalition Supports Women Fundraising for Municipal Campaigns Letter to the Editor
- Apr 08 2018
- The belief that candidates should be able to fund their campaigns on their “own dime” would mean that only people with lots of money to spare could run for office, which would create disadvantages for many women and underrepresented groups.
- It's About Time! Op-ed for the Guardian
- Apr 06 2018
- As the Spring Session of the Legislative Assembly of PEI begins, the Coalition for Women in Government is looking forward to increased action in the area of equity and inclusion for women and diverse groups in PEI.
- Municipal Campaign School for Women Training Opportunity
- Feb 01 2018
- Women interested in running in the 2018 municipal elections are invited to attend a municipal campaign school in Charlottetown or Summerside.
PEI in 2018
- 0% of MPs in PEI are women
- 18.5% of MLAs are women
- 50% of appointed Senators are women
- 75% of Lennox Island Band Council members are women (no women are currently members of Abegweit First Nations Band Council)
How Does PEI Compare?
Percentage of women in provincial, territorial and national legislatures (2017):
|Rank||Jurisdiction||% of Women in Legislature|
|8||Newfoundland and Labrador||25%|
|11||Prince Edward Island||18.5%|
LATEST ACTIVITIES AND RESOURCES
PEI Famous Five 25th Anniversary Conference
On October 30th, 2018 you are invited to participate in a forum that will mark this milestone and its significance in the political history of PEI and Canada as well as discuss the role of women in government and leadership. Let's celebrate PEI's living history and change the future through engagement, awareness, and creating tools for action!
2018 Municipal Elections: Women Candidates
PEI Women in Government Timeline
Equity in Governance Project Resources
- Best Practices in Increasing Women's Representation on Agencies, Boards, and Commissions (French)
- Benefits of Gender and Diversity on Boards (French)
The objective of the Equity in Governance Project is to increase opportunities for women to achieve positions of leadership by addressing the systemic and structural barriers that limit the leadership role of women on ABCs in PEI.