News and Events
- Percentage of Women in PEI Cabinet Lowest Among Provinces Media Release
- Jan 10 2018
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government describes today's announcement as a missed opportunity to ensure women's voices and experiences are represented at the cabinet table.
- New Year's Levee Save The Date
- Dec 16 2017
- Join the PEI Coalition for Women in Government for their Annual New Year's Levee on Wednesday January 3rd, 2018, from 4:00-6:00pm at St. Peter's Hall.
- Coalition Welcomes Motion to Modernize Legislative Sitting TimesMedia Release
- Dec 14 2017
- The Coalition for Women in Government welcomes motion 32 put forward by Minister Paula Biggar to modernize sitting times in the Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island and hopes all parties will support the motion.
- Building Effective Boards: The Gender & Diversity Factor Free Workshop
- Nov 29 2017
- The Equity in Governance project invites members of agencies, boards, and commissions to attend the "Building Effective Boards: The Gender & Diversity Factor" workshop on Thursday, Dec 7th from 9:00am-3:00pm
- Coalition Congratulates Hannah Bell on District 11 Win! Media Release
- Nov 28 2017
- Hannah Bell Makes History As First Woman Green Party Candidate Elected to PEI Legislature
- Becoming A Municipal Councillor: What You Need to Know! Join the Coalition and Municipal Affairs PEI to learn more about the roles and responsibilities of municipal councillors in PEI.
- Nov 07 2017
- Municipal elections are just one year away and the Coalition for Women in Government is encouraging members of the public to learn more about municipal government.
PEI in 2018
- 0% of MPs in PEI are women
- 18.5% of MLAs are women
- 50% of appointed Senators are women
- 75% of Lennox Island Band Council members are women (no women are currently members of Abegweit First Nations Band Council)
How Does PEI Compare?
Percentage of women in provincial, territorial and national legislatures (2017):
|Rank||Jurisdiction||% of Women in Legislature|
|8||Newfoundland and Labrador||25%|
|10||Prince Edward Island||18.5%|
LATEST ACTIVITIES AND RESOURCES
Engaging Island Women for Political Action
The project will address barriers to women's inclusion in political parties by providing leadership training to 100 women and working directly with political parties to identify opportunities for women's advancement.
PEI Women in Government Timeline
Equity in Governance Project Resources
- Best Practices in Increasing Women's Representation on Agencies, Boards, and Commissions (French)
- Benefits of Gender and Diversity on Boards (French)
The objective of the Equity in Governance Project is to increase opportunities for women to achieve positions of leadership by addressing the systemic and structural barriers that limit the leadership role of women on ABCs in PEI.